Wednesday 20 November 2013

Assignment 3 - Fifth Element

It has been a constant battle but all is resolved now.

While the brief calls for a site, it does not specifically state a "contoured" site. It is however implied with the number of images shown on Russell's blog example post HOWEVER, at this level of "skill mastery" it is assumed students already know how to make contours in 3d, slice, lasercut.
I see it as an obstacle and can demonstrate it in another way - y'know, the next level.

As such, the landscape will now take a back seat with the architecture truly being what it wants to be and not influenced by the site. After all, these assignments are first and foremost supposed to hone our skills in fabrication techniques without compromise to design.

Now.. onto where the Fifth Element comes to play:

In Assignment 1, I played around with trusses and movement. The Fifth Element made a small appearance in my precedents but seeing as I wasn't doing anything quite "urban", was not used to its fullest. It has been on my mind since - how can I create a world that would:

  • seem like something that'd appear in Bladerunner/Fifth Element/Inception
    • All throughout this course, I've wanted to create architecture "out of this world"
  • feel normal to its inhabitants but foreign to onlookers
  • appeal to my interest in Metabolist Architecture
...and then I saw the rack that is sitting in my lounge room. It was so simple!


 So once again, I will be porting all my concepts and mending it in with this new direction. Again, no loss as fabrication has not gone too far (small losses but definitely a small price to pay for my sanity and satisfaction!)

I will make a response to the four classical elements with Moss being the fifth element.

Why do I have no fear in doing this?
The answer is simple.
Over the 2-3 assignments of this semester, I've accumulated a large number of ideas - most of which weren't applicable for the other two models but probably applicable to Moss.
In essence, I've been thinking about this super model for more than 2 months now.

In addition to this, the cliff had its own technical problems (too many polygons resulting in difficulty in working with the program to intersect faces, etc)
The floating island was difficult to justify, let alone materialise.

Here are some sketches of the development:



No comments:

Post a Comment